Thursday, February 14, 2013

Poultry - and True Love Stories for Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day! Hope it's everything you want it to be.

Have you raised geese? I had one pair for years, I'm otherwise solely a chicken addict. A couple of months ago, I lost "Pop", the gander. Sadly, I went out a few weeks later  to feed my animals and found "Nana" dead, too. Neither of them showed any signs that they were ill. I don't remember exactly which year I bought them, even, but they lived a long life. I mentioned this to an old friend, and he interrupted me, headed for his office and came back with a book he said I just had to read.

It's title is Wild Goose, Brother Goose , by Mel Ellis. It was published in 1969, but I checked, and there are a few copies available on Amazon, basically for shipping costs only. It tells the story of  a wild Canadian Goose (the gander) and a goose cared for by the author. I'm less than half finished with it, but will spend a couple of hours on it tonight before work. So far, it's a beautiful story about love and faithfullness - the mating habits of geese.

Amazon doesn't show it in e-book form yet.  If you're looking for something different about wildlife, human nature, and true love and commitment this Valentines Day, look it up. Apparently, my goose died of loneliness and heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In Gratitude to Chickens - For Centuries of Service to Humans

In Gratitude to Chickens - for Centuries of Service to Humans The purpose of this book is to debunk the common stereotypes about ...