Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Your Chicken's Age, Compared to Humans

Three days ago, I lost one of my favorite roosters, Radio Flyer. One day he was doing fine, the next day he didn't eat and seemed under the weather, so I put him in a separate pen with a comfy bed and food and water. A couple of hours later I went to check on him, and he was dead. He was a beautiful rooster and such a character! I'll miss his pecking on my door -- no matter how grumpy I was feeling in the morning, it always made me smile.

He lived the human equivalent of 50 years, according to a chart I copied some time ago, from a source I simply can't remember.

It starts with a 5 month old chicken being equal to a 12 year old human. A 12 month old chicken is equal to a 19 year old human, a two year old chicken is equal to a 27 year old human, and from then on the chicken's age is multiplied by 10 in comparison to a human's age.

The chart ends with a 7 year old chicken being equal to a 70 year old human. So, I wish Radio Flyer had lived at least a few more years, but he did have a pretty good life. Memories of his personality, his antics, and his beauty will live on.

All of my other chickens are still very healthy, so Radio Flyer must have had a heart problem or something unique to him . . . at least I'm glad he didn't suffer for long.

Always sad to lose one of the flock, but it's just one of those things that happens once in awhile.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, it's good to know. I just lost two of my girls to egg peritonitis at the equivalent of around 30 and 40 years old respectively. Much too young and absolutely heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM 160 CHICKEN YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sorry for you my rooster is the best pet i ever owned

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

In Gratitude to Chickens - For Centuries of Service to Humans

In Gratitude to Chickens - for Centuries of Service to Humans The purpose of this book is to debunk the common stereotypes about ...