Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chickens Sense Fall is in the Air

Are your chickens growing feathers like mad? Mine, at least the ones that recently molted, look like they're getting prepared for a rough winter . . . with a warm coat of feathers.

The last few months they've been getting kitty kibble along with their normal fare. Takes a lot of protein to regrow all those feathers. Fortunately, some of my younger hens kept me in eggs these last months. With daylight fading, they'll all slow down the laying, but since I can't use all the eggs anyway it's not a big problem. Well, maybe for the people I give them to, but they understand.

Will light up my main chicken house a couple of extra hours a day as we get closer to winter so my best layers will be able to even out their productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In Gratitude to Chickens - For Centuries of Service to Humans

In Gratitude to Chickens - for Centuries of Service to Humans The purpose of this book is to debunk the common stereotypes about ...