Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Fathers Day, Guys

Feeling a little left out today, but I did just adopt a puppy. That qualifies, right? Well, kinda, sorta, in a way . . .


Anyway, since I keep reading "you don't even need a rooster" to keep chickens and enjoy those delicious eggs, I'm dedicating this post to the mighty and awesome ROOSTER.


That would be the same ROOSTER that's required for fertile eggs and the miracle of birth, or hatching, of one of the cutest baby farm animals that exist! I know, the reason roosters have gotten short shrift is because of the popularity of urban farming. Not keeping a rooster with a flock of hens keeps city dwellers within the confines of local law. Roosters are usually banned because their early morning 'cock-a-doodle-do's' are considered to be noise pollution by some people. For others, this "noise" brings back nostalgic memories of rural living.


Personally, if you're living the 'country life' without the presence of a rooster, I believe you're missing an important part the experience. And I understand, the law is there to be obeyed, and there's not a lot you can do about that.


Roosters are beautiful, living, moving, crowing works of art. Each one has a distict personality. Some are mean and independent, and qualify as "deadbeat dads", while others actually welcome the baby chicks under their wings. And, you can't automatically judge roosters as poor choices to develop into pets. Often, if you start early, and spend time with them , they'll become great pets, even defending your home much like a watch dog. Like my Old English Bantam, Spike, who struck fear into a six-foot-four former football hero.


Then there's my liberty loving Auracauna Rooster, Radio Flyer. He gets out every day, along with his harem of four hens. I can hear him now, "peck, peck, peck". When he hears I'm up and about on the weekends -- he wants his treats, which he gallantly shares with his hens.


Roosters share a prominent place in history, are used in art, decor, and are featured in many customs around the world. They deserve a little tribute today, in my humble opinion.


Okay, I'm off to do the chores, call my Dad, and walk my new puppy.


What do you think? Got any good rooster stories?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

In Gratitude to Chickens - For Centuries of Service to Humans

In Gratitude to Chickens - for Centuries of Service to Humans The purpose of this book is to debunk the common stereotypes about ...