Sunday, April 1, 2012

Baby Chick Survives Against Expectation

A baby chick is doing well now, according to her owner, after being found bleeding from a protracted vent. A few days ago I was asked in an email to comment on this situation, and not having seen the baby chick in question or having even experienced the situation to that extent (I've seen a small amount of protrusion, but it cleared up on its own) was unsure about what the outcome might be.

The owners first separated the 5 week old baby from the rest, then cleansed the area thoroughly and gently pressed the protruding vent back in, according to an update yesterday. Great news! The little pullet is now thriving! I share this to encourage anyone else facing this same situation. The owners had contacted a Vet, who apparently offered to put the little chick down, so kudu's to them for making the (successful) effort to save a life!

A quick online search revealed several pieces of information about correcting this situation in adult hens, but not much about it regarding baby chicks, so maybe this will be helpful information to make available - I sure appreciate learning from it.

If you've experienced this or have gone the extra mile to successfully save a baby chick in difficulty, feel free to leave a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. I have saved my share of chickens and chicks from a myriad of afflictions including pasty butt, impacted egg, and poison, but this is the first time I have heard of a chick that young with something that sounds like a prolapse. Good effort. I hope it stays well when she starts laying. My last adventure into bird doctoring was actually with my baby ducks this year. You can see it on my blog at
    http://welcometothehenhouse.blogspot.com/2012/03/100-hatch-ratio.html
    We had four duck eggs that our silkie hen was hatching out and it became quite the exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad the chick is doing well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

In Gratitude to Chickens - For Centuries of Service to Humans

In Gratitude to Chickens - for Centuries of Service to Humans The purpose of this book is to debunk the common stereotypes about ...